*****PLAYER PACK AVAILABLE AS DOWNLOAD BELOW*****"Frontal Assault" TourneySponsored by The Foundry and the WWPD PodcastDate:
16 Feb 2013Location:
7914 Memorial Parkway SW
Huntsville AL 35802
Mid War (North Africa/East Front/Burning Empires or Official
Battlefront MW PDF)Points:
1500 pointsEntry Fee:
$15 ($10 if complete army is fully painted/based). Fees collected go to prize support. Pay at the door.Timeline:
0830-0930 --- Registration
0930-0945 --- Tournie Briefing
1000-1200 --- Round 1
1200-1300 --- Lunch Break/Painting Competition
1300-1500 --- Round 2
1530-1730 --- Round 3
1745 --- Awards Ceremony
Time hacks will be given at the 1 hour remaining mark, the 30 minute remaining mark and the 10 minute remaining mark.Format:
"Battle Plan" format with all missions being either "Mobile Battle," or "Defensive Battle" types or "No Man's Land".Battle Plan Format:
Players will be divided into 2 teams. All attempts will be made to maximize Allied/Axis pure sides. All battles will be fought over a "campaign" map. Team A (Axis) is the Campaign Attacker and is conducting an offensive. Team B (Allied) is the Campaign Defender. The campaign map is divided into sectors with each sector having an active battle location. Each sector has a total 5 locations (one neutral and 2 on each team's side of the Campaign
Each round's battle for a sector determines the location for the next round's battle. Depending on the type of mission fought in the previous round, a particular sector's next active location will move left or right in favor of the victor (towards the losing side). For the next mission, the winning side of the previous battle will be the attacker and the losing side will be the defender. The mission type is predetermined for that battle location based on which side won the last battle and what type of battle that was.
Players will be assigned to sectors by "High Command" (i.e the Tournament Organizer), based on ability and previous successes. The top ranked player from Team A will play the top ranked player from Team B each round. Should a situation develop where the top ranked players have already faced each other, they will instead face the second player from each side. All attempts will also be made to ensure players do not play a 2nd game on the
same table.Victory Conditions:
The team that has more battle locations under their control after Round 3 will be declared the winner.Awards:
- Best Commander each side (Tie breakers are Head to Head, painting score, sportsmanship score) will receive a a trophy and store credit
- Best Painted Army will receive a trophy, store credit and a 4 tank PzIV-f2 platoon painted by WWPD Dirty Jon. All armies will be inspected during the lunch break by a Staff member. This member has been a GW Golden Daemon Finalist and a judge at several GTs. Notes on how to improve your painting will also be provided privately.
- Winning Side. All members of the winning side will receive a medal commemorating their achievement.
- There will also be a drawing between the 1st and 2nd round and between the 2nd and 3rd round with prizes provided by WWPD as well as a grand prize drawing for a Battlefront US Cavalry Group (USAB04) provided by The Foundry at the end of the tournament for all those players who are present and completed all their games to that point.
- Also, 10% on in store Flames of War merchandise 15% on Flames of War Special Orders (FoW items not in store)
*Not valid with any other offer or discountRegistration:
- Make a post in this thread or email SonBae at "FoWTourney@knology.net
" to sign up.
- In your post or email, please include the Nationality and book your force is coming from.
- SonBae will maintain a running list of registered competitors in this thread below.
- Updated information will be posted here as well as emailed to players.
- As of now, the max we can handle is
20 players (10 tables
) 30 Players (15 Tables).
Should we get more interest, I will work with The Foundry and see if we can expand. (** EDIT Based on interest to date and coordination with the Foundry we have expanded the tournament to a max of 30 people and 15 Tables)
- To help speed registration up, please send me a copy of your list to "FoWTourney@knology.net
" prior to the tournament that will help out a great deal.
Registered Players (as of 28 Jan 13):Axis:
|Jason Tucker*||Romanian||Eastern Front|
|Ben Tucker||Italians||North Africa|
|Kip Perkins||German||Eastern Front|
|Daniel McCoy||Finnish||Jaakarikomppania pdf|
|Charlie Clay||German||North Africa|
|Michael R||US||North Africa|
|Jeff Hauck||Soviet||Eastern Front|
|Adrien||US or British||TBD|
|Chase Perkins ||US||North Africa|
|A.J. Lancing||British||North Africa|
|Jose Sto Tomas ||US||North Africa|
|George P||British||North Africa|
|Paul A||British||North Africa|
|Robert Ramey||Soviet||Eastern Front|
*Can run Allies if neededQuestions:
- If you have any questions, post them in this thread or email them to SonBae at:
Since Mid War hasnt been completely morphed into the Third Edition rulesset there will be some questions that arise. We will us the Third Edition Questions and Answers
from Battlefront found at http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Rules/FlamesOfWarThirdEditionQandAApril2012.pdf
So 80/81mm/3 in mortars have a direct fire stat and 100mm and up guns have Breakthrough Gun
in Direct Fire. Additional Clarifications below: Romanian National Rules:
- The MW Romanian Specials rules in Eastern Front
will be used as written except as listed below:
- Central Fire Control
. The Central Fire Control rule from "Know Your Enemy
" will be used instead of the rule as written in Eastern Front
- Romanian Company Command Teams cannot act as spotting teams for Artillery Bombardments
- When a Romanian artillery battery that has a staff team fires an Artillery Bombardment, any other artillery batteries with Staff teams may join it before rolling to Range In and fire as a single combined Artillery
- Rationale: Points cost for the same artillery between both Eastern Front
and Red Bear
were effectively the same. The rules do effectively the same thing so no impact to historical "accuracy." As a result the rules can swap with ease and bring the rule to V3.
- French Doctrine
. Portions of the French Doctrine rule from "Know Your Enemy
" will be used instead of the rule as written in Eastern Front.
- The "Know Your Enemy
" Rule for Infantry and Gun teams Dig in on a 3+ does apply. (Changed on 14 Jan 13)
- When conducting Defensive Fire, Infantry and Gun teams that are Dug In or in Entrenchments can shoot over Man-packed or Light Gun teams that are also Dug In or in Entrenchments.
No mention of the Digging In advantage was made in Eastern Front. My take is that the Romanians got better at digging in as the war advanced and this is a LW only rule and therefore not applicable to MW.
Keeping the Digging In on 3+ is based on the "Early War Update" PDF and The Greek use of "French Doctrine" in Burning Empires
. Both keep the 3+ for digging in. The Defensive fire update is taken from the "Early War Update" PDF from the Battlefront website.
- Defend The Homeland rule in Eastern Front
is the same as the Hated Enemy rule from Know Your Enemy
. No change.
- The Peasant Army rule from Eastern Front
book will remain in effect as written. Rationale: The army morale and training changed from MW to LW and since this is a MW event, we should use the MW Peasant Army chart.Russians National Rules:
- Hen & Chicks. The V3 Hen and Chicks will be used. Rationale is per Battlefornts "Third Edition Questions and Answers
mentioned above." Special Thanks to The Foundry and WWPD again for hosting this tourney.